Webinar 1 - REALISE: Enabling full-chain CCUS for refineries through clusters-based strategies
Refineries play a major role in our modern lifestyles, creating an almost infinite range of everyday products. Alongside other industries, they face the challenge to decarbonise as part of Europe’s wider efforts to meet climate targets by 2030.
This webinar introduces the REALISE CCUS project, an international partnership of industry and scientists working to support the delivery of carbon capture, utilisation and storage (CCUS) technology for the refinery sector.
Our research, funded by the European Union's Horizon 2020 programme, focuses on the full CCUS chain – from CO2 capture, transport and geological CO2 storage to CO2 reuse – for clusters which include refineries and other industries.
Specifically, we aim to demonstrate CCUS technology, enable sizeable cost-reductions, undertake public engagement and assess financial, political and regulatory barriers.
The event will be chaired by REALISE project coordinator, Inna Kim of SINTEF, and will feature presentations by lead scientists from each of our technical work packages. There will also be an interactive Q&A session.
- Welcome & intro – Inna Kim, SINTEF (5 mins)
- Optimising and validating technologies for refineries (WP1) – Solrun Vevelstad, SINTEF (10 mins)
- Demonstrating pilot-scale CO2 capture with optimised solvent (WP2) – Juliana Monteiro, TNO (10 mins)
- Assessing potential for CCUS at oil refineries within clusters (WP3) – Pádraig Fleming, Ervia (10 mins)
- Social, political and commercial context for CCS deployment (WP4) – Niall Dunphy, UCC (10 mins)
- Q&A (15 mins)